Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bluebirds

I found this hapless little bluebird in my stove when I went to light a fire tonight.

After it was lit for a couple minutes, I opened the damper.

Down into the flames tumbled another little bird! Realizing that it was alive, I rescued it quickly and it flew away with only a few scorched tail feathers.




Ahah!

Aw, you found me!

Cute but unwilling Subject

Not a very good picture, just an advertisement for International Harvester ;-)


Aren't we much like this little bluebird?
Rescued from the flames of fire in the nick of time... but we are afraid of our Savior. 
We don't trust Him to help us. 
We try to find our own way to happiness and freedom. 
It is only when we reach a dead end sometimes, that the Savior's strong, firm , but very gentle hand picks us up and carries us to the place we want to go.

Is it true freedom though?
As I stepped out the door and released my grasp on the little feet. the small bird sat there for a few moments, chirping uncertainly. It is a cold and hostile world out there; an unfriendly night.
The house was warm and bright but the world seemed to offer more liberty. The choice was not mine to make.

I do not expect the bluebird to come and ask to live indoors. It is a poor analogy at best, but our Loving Father wants us who have gotten cold to come and humbly knock for admittance. 

Do you choose, dear Christian, the "bondage" of Christ or the "freedom" of the world?

2 comments:

Dakota Covey said...

It is true. We can wander and wander and not until we get burnt do we realize that we are away from His gentle leading.

Jamie Parfitt said...

Very good analogy.