Sunday, November 10, 2013

Simplify...Health

I know what you think I'm going to tell you.

"Get rid of all your medications and get herbal supplements!"

Actually, no.

I'd like you to consider getting rid of your herbal supplements. Don't actually throw them out, just take a step back and consider.

*Did you know that comfrey has been linked to serious liver damage?
*So has willow bark. It is the substance that Aspirin was invented from and can cause severe kidney damage as well.

*If you are allergic to ragweed, you may be allergic to chamomile.

*Grape seed extract has been shown to be fairly safe but can come with these side effects: dry, itchy scalp; dizziness; headache; high blood pressure; hives; indigestion; and nausea.

*St. John’s wort may cause increased sensitivity to sunlight. Other side effects can include anxiety, dry mouth, dizziness, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, headache, or _____ dysfunction.


So just because it says "natural" or "Herbal" doesn't mean it is good for you. Many supplements are like drugs, and your body cannot function correctly without them. Beware, is all I'm saying.

I am a fan of herbs and natural remedies, I've just seen too many good folks get carried away, along with a lot of their money, and I think some need to do a "reset".

Okayyyyy...I'm putting a bull's-eye on my back right now, but I've come far enough that I'll plunge recklessly onward.  PREVENTATIVE: How many heartrending stories and studies do we need to read before we stop vaccinating our poor, innocent infants???
Allergies,
Diseases,
SIDS,
Autism...

 Nuff said, do the research yourself.


And now the conclusion: I am sick as I write this. Since I hardly ever get ill it gets its money's worth out of me. But I am not running to the medicine cabinet. I'm drinking lots of water, eating garlic, and consuming a normal healthy balanced diet, while trying not to get anyone else sick. 

We all get the sniffles, and the occasional stomach bug, but the majority of us will not be harmed by letting the amazing creation called our bodies take it's own course. We support it gently as it builds antibodies, kills the infectious bacterial cells, and comes off stronger than ever.

Lastly, remember what God told the children of Israel in Exodus 15:26:

"...If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee." 

1 comment:

Jamie Parfitt said...

A few thoughts:
1. Mom always says drink lots of orange juice. Well, I have heard or read in the past couple of years that Vitamin C doesn't actually kill germs. It just makes your body strong in the first place. I still drink lots of orange juice because it helps me force fluids. But the real cure is PREVENTION. Eats lots of fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in Vit. C. Did you know that cauliflower is high in vitamin C? I didn't until this past January. I like to eat it with butter as a substitute for mashed potatoes, thus cutting out lots of carbs. But it actually has something we need plenty of on a regular basis.

2. Get plenty of rest. BEFORE you get sick. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Rest while sick is necessary, but we can cause a lot of sickness by stretching our time budget into time debt.

3. Maybe God is allowing us to get sick as a chastening for sin in our lives. Talk about putting a target on my back. But consider going the Lord in prayer, searching your heart, and repenting of things and spending that resting time with the Lord and His Word.

Love, Mom
(This is written to your readers, not just you. :-) )